Salford City beat Morecambe 3-1 in a convincing display and a result that pushes the side away from the relegation zone.

Both sides came into the fixture out of form, with Salford without a win in 5 and Morecambe losing their last 2 matches.

Salford City started like they meant business, they looked sharp from the off.

The football was fast and direct as the Ammies looked to force mistakes from the Morecambe back line.

Salford grew in confidence with the attacking players having space and time on the ball.

Image by Cameron Cowburn

Their possession and control of the game early on allowed them to take the lead through a well worked goal.

Despite not scoring since the EFL cup triumph at Championship side Preston North End, it only took Scottsman Conor McLennan 13 minutes to find his first league goal of the season with a composed finish into the bottom left corner.

Taken by Salford City on X

The Ammies then on were in full control of the game, playing some pleasing football.

On 26 minutes Callum Hendry was brought down in the Morecambe penalty area, although nothing was given which left Karl Robinson furious.

Upon the start of the second half again Salford started the better of the 2 sides.

Callum Hendry doubled the Ammies advantage on the 50 minute mark, with a surreal goal.

He launched an audacious scissor kick that looped over the helpless Archie Mair, leaving the Shrimps keeper completely stranded.

Taken by Salford City on X

This goal seemed to wake Morecambe up as Salford later netted a second, finally the Shrimps began to play some of the football that has propelled them up the league this season.

Their good work was rewarded with a ticket back into the game, when Ged Garner launched a cross into the Salford penalty area.

It was the unfortunate Theo Vasssel who turned the ball past his own keeper Alex Cairns on 61 minutes.

on 65 minutes Ammies manager Karl Robinson was booked for showing dissent to the referee.

Despite a good spell for the away side, it was ultimately short-lived as Salford began upping the tempo again to try and notch a third goal and see off the Lancashire side.

The Ammies created some good chances down the left hand side with Conor McLennan who looked a threat every time he picked up the ball.

Taken by Salford City on X

The third goal eventually came in the 79th minute when Luke Garbutt hung a deep cross into the back post area.

Curtis Tilt rose the highest to score a bullet header across the goalkeeper, with the central defender scoring 2 goals in as many games.

Salford then defended admirably for the rest of the game, easily dealing with the rare forays forward Morecambe managed to get.

To top off a great afternoon for Salford City, youngster Jez Davies came on to make his debut deep into injury time.


Taken by Salford City on X

It was a great afternoon for the Ammies who looked in control of the game for large portions, keeping Morecambe’s attackers quiet.

One Comment

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *